Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A Showcase of Collections

I have to admit that I have a collective impulse. I just find so many odds and ends that I come across so fascinating.  Though my collections at the moment are scattered about and not really organized I have some things that are not worth anything at all (money wise) and items like my Mickey Mantle Baseball. But whatever I come across I set aside to gaze upon on a rainy day and to otherwise admire.

Thus being said I came across and article in Portland Spaces January 2008 issue about a woman who like myself is a collector. But by the looks of it Martha Cansler has managed to turn her array of collectibles into an artful showcase. Please see her web page and if you can track down the article in the Portland Spaces magazine it will give you more information.

M World


Update:
(Official Response)
4/23/2012

Me: "What was the first thing that you ever collected or if you cant recall what was the first category that you started?"

M: "I sort of think the first thing I collected is frogs. I think that's a pretty common kid thing. I haven't collected any more frogs than the few I keep around as childhood memory boosters."

Me: "Though you have not been an animator for sometime, do you have any advice for those that are animation business?"

M:"I have no idea what you do. 20 years ago you sent around a demo reel (on video) and then called people and tried to go sell yourself. Today? …beats me. My husband still works in imagery sorts of stuff but it's all interactive technology (he's a software engineer). The people who design the things he works on seem to have also have something like a masters degree in interactive technology.
jeez…it used to be enough to be creative...."
M:"I really don't like what "animation" is anymore. It's all the 3d crap that looks like nothing but a major headache for a lot of well meaning students. It looks soul-less and utterly uncreative. I like things with some personal attachment to the artist, not some precious fairy tale with big eyed cute things that could only have been produced by an army of overworked automatons. I can appreciate stuff like Tim Burton's Alice in wonderland or the Harry Potter stuff but it sure makes me shake my head; those poor sods having to work thousands of hours on some trivial bit: "Hey, Mom Look! I did those 3 frames where Harry's broom flew over that tree!!"
M: "If you want to know the greatest, most original and brilliant animator/ARTIST look at Jim Blashfield."

No comments:

Post a Comment